What do two pushups every time you go to the bathroom have to do with financial success?
Absolutely nothing and everything at the same time.
BJ Fogg kickstarted this habit and dozens of other little changes to his daily life that resulted in his losing 20 pounds and transforming his life.
His Book Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything emphasizes that starting small can lead to big changes.
In an interview with insider.com Fogg stated ”The trick to lasting success is making sure that you pick out new behaviors and routines that you actually want to adopt, not simply those you think you should do. One of the criteria is you actually want to do it,” he said. “So that’s why it’s really easy to create them, and then there’s no reason to procrastinate.”
How do you take this idea and apply it to your financial success?
One small action at a time.
Five Tiny Actions to Implement Now
- Rethink cable TV – Do you need 200+ channels or maybe just the local channels and a couple streaming services could save you over $100 per month? We did it in September 2019 and the change has been simple and we love the savings.
- Subscription Addiction – How many “subscriptions” are you paying for that you rarely or never use? The biggest one is usually a fitness subscription. I enjoy yoga. Yet it is not a regularly scheduled event in my calendar. Do I pay a monthly fee? No – I pay for 10 classes that I can use on my time. Yes, the cost per class seems higher but not paying every month saves me money. Look at your “subscriptions” and see what needs to change.
- Take a walk – Walking without your electronic devices is a refreshing approach to disconnecting from the noise. Just 30 minutes every day can increase cardiovascular fitness, strengthen bones, reduce excess body fat, and boost muscle power and endurance. … Unlike some other forms of exercise, walking is free and doesn’t require any special equipment or training. Want an advance approach? Take your spouse or significant other and have a conversation. Amazing results can happen.
- Plant a herb and vegetable garden – The sights, smells, and sounds of the garden are said to promote relaxation and reduce stress. The food you grow yourself is the freshest food you can eat. And because home gardens are filled with fruits and vegetables, it’s also among the healthiest food you can eat.
- 25 & 5 &1 – I took BJ’s Fogg’s approach and added 25 & 5 &1 to my morning walk routine. What is 25 & 5 &1? Twenty-five sit-ups, then five pushups, and then a 1-minute plank every morning. Seems simple doesn’t it. Try it out and let me know how you are doing? The benefits are straightforward. Strength and core strength. Want more ideas? Check out this home test.
These Five Tiny Actions can save your money and support better health and creating a happier, healthier financial life can be both easy and fun. Get the book and see what other habits you can create.
Email me and let me know how you are implementing tiny changes in your and your family’s life.
All of the Coronavirus headlines can be a lot to digest.We are always here if you’d like to ask questions or take a fresh look at your investments and your financial plan.
Got a question or a fear you want to discuss?
Call me 214-239-4700 or send me an email Michael@tannerycompany.com
Michael Tannery CPA CDFA® AIF® ● CEO
Registered Principal | Tannery & Company
Be A Financial Olympian™